Miami County, Ohio Genealogical Researchers -- Sponsored by the Computerized Heritage Association

Copied from Volume two of the book:
Published in 1920

Part 2

Pages 513 - 524)


- Brown Township - Springcreek Township
Union Township - Newton Township - Concord Township-
- Staunton Township - Lostcreek Township -
- Elizabeth Township - Bethel Township - Monroe Township -
- Washington Township - Newberry Township -

- Agriculture in Miami County - Agricultural Society -
Horticultural Society - Farmers' Institute -
The County Experimental Farm -

THE STORY OF MIAMI COUNTY (from Volume 2, Memoirs Of Miami Valley) (published 1920) Pages 512-524

Brown Township, page 512

Among the first settlers to locate in this township were John Adney, John Oliver, John Kiser, Daniel Newcomb, John Simmons and John Caven. A number of the early settlers in this township came from Virginia and there was also a generous immigration to this region from Pennsylvania. A short time prior to 1812 the early settlers of this township erected a blockhouse, being in constant danger of marauding Indians. This was on the land owned by John Kiser. Among the first to settle here after the War of 1812 was Asa Munsell who subsequently became a member of the legislature. John Molloy settled here in 1821 and afterwards engaged in the lumber business with John P. Davis. Molloy subsequently moved to California where he became a bonanza king. Among others of the early settlers in this township were John Caven, William Concannon, Major Manning, Joseph Cory and Michael Sills. Benjamin Bowersock opened the first blacksmith shop in the township. The first sawmill was built in 1821 by John Molloy.

The Methodists early held meetings in this township, having held services here in the homes of the first settlers. As early as 1809 traveling Baptist ministers held meetings at the home of Mr. Kiser. The first schoolhouse in the township was built in 1810 on Section 36 and its first teacher was "Aunt" Sallie Tucker, who was succeeded by "Aunt" Patty McQuillen.

Springcreek Township, page 513

While John Hilliard was the first person to enter land in this township, his entry being made December 31, 1802, French traders had been in this community and one of these had built a small trading store in this vicinity. Among others who first entered land here were John McKinney, 1806; Gardener Bobo, 1807, and James McKinney, 1805. Following these came William Stuart, Daniel Symmes, Mathew Scudder, William Frost, James Cregan, George M. Caven, Henry Freeman, William Wiley a nd G. P. Torrance. John Dilbone subsequently entered land in this township, he and his wife and a Mr. Gerard later being massacred the Indians.

Charles Hilliard, a son of John Hilliard, was the first white man to be married in this township, taking as his wife Sarah Manning, who lived just across the river from the Hilliards. John William Hilliard, a son of this couple, was the first white child to be born in the township.

In 1808 James McKinney, who had settled in the township a short time previously, erected a grist mill on Spring Creek. A distillery had been erected a short time prior to the erection of the grist mill, it passing into the hands of Henry Orbison who continued its operation for a number of years. The first saw mill to be operated here was that of Samuel Wiley, who built this in 1815, he building a dam across the creek for this purpose. The first schoolhouse in the township was built on Section 25 in 1815, and James Laird, a native of the Emerald Isle, first taught here. The first "smithy" to open a shop in the township was Caleb Jones, who was ready for business in the fall of 1814.

Union Township, page 513

While there is some division of opinion as to the very first to settle in this township, it is quite certain as to the early land holders. Among those to first enter land in this township were John Mast, Thomas Coppock, John Richardson , Samuel Coate, Moses Coate, John Compton, Jonathan Mote and the Mendenhalls. David Mote and his sons, Jonathan, Jeremiah, William, John and James settled here soon after the first vanguard. John Mote, son of David, was the first physician to practice in this township and was a fiery abolitionist. From Georgia came a number of adherents of the Society of Friends, among whom were Abiathar Davis and the Hollingsworths, Isaac, James, George and Nathan. John Mast established one of the first grist mill s in the township. Samuel Kelly, a Yankee, built a woolen mill on Section 21 and about 1824 Seth Kelly, a brother of Samuel, built and operated a scythe factory in the same neighborhood.

The first religious services were in all probability held at the Mendenhall home and were the "Friends' Meetings." The first school in the township was at the old "Friends' Meeting House" at West Branch and was taught by John How, an Englishman.

Newton Township, page 514

Some time between 1797 and 1800 Michael Williams removed from North Carolina to Ohio. He met General William Henry Harrison at Cincinnati, who told him of the wonders of this country. Mr. Williams and his family, consisting of four sons and five daughters, removed here and settled on Section 19, arriving here in 1801. His youngest son, John, later became a minister of the gospel, the first to be produced in this township. Others who entered land in the next two or three years were Michael Ingle, Sylvester Thompson and William Schenck. Moses and Samuel Coate came from South Carolina on a prospecting tour and were subsequently joined by their father, Marmaduke Coate, and the rest of the family. Marmaduke Coate entered land in Section 32 in 1804. Others who arrived at an early date were Thomas Hill and family, Benjamin Iddings, Joseph Furnas and Isaac Ballinger. William and David Miles came from South Carolina and settled West of the river about 1807 and were immediately followed by Robert Leavel, who settled on Section 2. Jacob Embree erected a saw mill in 1808 and later in the same year attached a flour mill.

The first school in the township was taught by Joseph Furnas in 1808, his cabin being used for this purpose. The first church to be erected was a Union church, built in 1820. Prior to this the "Friends" held open air meetings and in homes and barns, but had no special meeting house.

Concord Township, page 514

Among the first land-entries in this township were those of Samuel Martin, Samuel Kyle, William Barbee and Robert Marshall, Aaron Tullis, David Tullis, William Gahagan, Abraham Thomas, John Orbison, Alexander McCullough and Joseph Layton. Others who settled here between 1803 and 1808 were Reuben Shackleford, Alexander Telford, John Peck and his four sons, Jacob, John, Joseph and Isaac, David-Jenkins, James Fort and Thomas Kyle.

In 1807 a religious meeting was held at the cabin of Abraham Thomas, Thomas Kyle doing the preaching. A short time later the Baptists organized a church, also holding services on occasions at the home of Mr. Thomas. Abraham Thomas was an ex-soldier of the Revolution and Indian fighter. A short time after locating here he built a forge, using a hog pen for his smithy shop.

James Orr came with his family from Kentucky and settled in this township in 1804, this family becoming prominent in the manufacturing business at a subsequent period. William Gahagan entered the land on which Troy was laid out.

Staunton Township, page 514

The French traders were up and down this territory long before the actual white settlement began. While the land entries may be regarded as the official title of settlement, there were settlers in Staunton township prior to the first person who entered land from the government. Peter Felix, a historical character, who was known as a shrewd little French trader, had a small Indian trading store for some time prior to the actual settlement of this township. Simon Landry was another of the early French traders in and about Staunton. The first land entries were those of John Gerard, Uriah Blue, Henry Gerrard, A. Blue, James Blue, John Whiting, Levi Martin, Mathew Huston, Peter Felix, Jacob Kinzer and John Knoop, who entered land July 31, 1805. Among others who subsequently entered land or lived in this settlement, Amariah Smalley, William Marshall, Jacob Riddle, John Gilmore, E. Hilliard, John Julian and Richard Winans, William and James Clark and the Rev. David Clark.

Amariah Smalley opened a forge on Section 15 in 1807 and Mr. Marshall, who was a weaver by trade, started in this business on Section 22 and did a thriving business. He later was elected justice of the peace, serving for thirty years. Levi Martin and his wife were the central figures in the well-known Indian tragedy, Mrs. Martin being scalped by the Indians.

Among the early preachers to visit here were Nathan Worley of the Christian denomination, Samuel DeWeese, Presbyterian, and Abbot Goddard, Methodist. The Baptist church was one of the early organized churches, their first place of worship being at the home of Stephen Dye. Among the early worshipers at this church were Moses Winters, Nathaniel Gerard, Stephen Dye, William Knight, Elizabeth Winters, Mary Gerard and Mehitable Dye. The ministers at that time were Elder Joshua Carmon and Elder John Smith. This church was formally organized December 1, 1804.

Jane DeWeese was the first white female child born in this township and J. Knoop was the first male child born here. Isaac Gabriel was the first teacher in the township, Peter Landre was the first cooper and William Dye and Amariah Smalley were the first blacksmiths.

Lostcreek Township, page 515

Among the first land entries recorded .in this township were those of Jason Burnett, who settled in this township in 1804, others being John Brownson in 1805, John Johnston, Abraham Edwards, Barnabus Blue, John Rogers, John Holderman, John Whipple, John Flinn and Daniel Lauden, all of whom entered land in 1805. Among others who settled here between 1805 and 1817 were Willis Northcutt, Gen. John Webb and Alexander McDowell.

Prior to the formal organization of the township, which took place in 1818, a number of settlers had erected log cabins and the township began to draw its share of settlers. Prior to 1818 George Green had erected a grist mill and James Frazee had established a distillery. In 1814 John K. McFarlan operated a carding and pulling mill near the present site of Casstown. Gen. John Webb was probably the first school teacher in the township. One of the first churches erected was a primitive structure, built in 1821. This was a Baptist church, and later a secession taking place in this church, another Baptist church was erected on the Casstown and Addison turnpike. In 1832 cholera devastated many of the homes in this township, a number of homes being visited by this terrible plague, and the toll of lives paid in this township was very heavy.

Elizabeth Township, page 516

The first settlement of this township began about 1802, the first land entry recorded being that of William Madden, who was an early settler in this township. Among those who entered land in this township between 1802 and 1805 were James Lennon, Michael Williams, Jacob Prillerman, Moses Winters, Daniel Knoop, Elihu Saunders, Peter Sunderland, John Johnston, John Shidaker.

The War of 1812 drew some strength from Elizabeth township, John Williams and Jacob Mann serving as captains, while John Shidaker, William Mitchell, William Scherrer and Philip Sailor and others served as privates. In 1811 the first grist mill was erected in the township by John M. Dye. Mr. Dye at that time resided on the site of the present Children's Home. The second grist mill was built by Michael Carver and this was later used as a cotton mill by Henry Carver. Van Culen Hampton, a Dutchman, built the first saw mill in the township and Jacob Mann operated the first distillery.

The Methodists were the first to hold religious services, the home of Rafe Stafford being used for the purpose of organization, the first services being held at the home of John Gearheart. The first meeting of Baptists was held at the home of Stephen Dye in Staunton township but later religious services of this denomination were held in this township at the home of William Knight which later became the property of John Dye, and still later gave way for the erection of the children's home. In 1815 the New Lights erected a church near Cold Springs. The first schoolhouse erected in this township was on the Christian Knoop farm near the Staunton township line, the first schoolmaster to officiate being John Enyeart, who also officiated as justice of the peace.

Bethel Township, page 516

In 1802 Robert Crawford entered land in Bethel township, his entry being filed December 31, 1802, James L. Crawford, Jacob Siler, P. Short, Jonathan Downell filing entries on the same day. Prior to 1805 additional entries were made, among which were those of Elnathan Corey, Joseph Stafford and Jacob Price. Thomas Stockstill was an early settler of this township and migrated to this region from Tennessee. His hatred of slavery prompted him to forsake his native state and on the advice of Gen. William Henry Harrison, whom he met at Ft. Washington, he came to this region. Among others to settle here prior to 1810 were David H. Morris, an ex-Revolutionary soldier from New Jersey. He was soon followed by Robert and John H. Crawford. Samuel Morrison, a relative of the Crawfords, was the next to come and immediately after Mordecai Mendenhall settled here, he later erecting one of the first mills in the township and one of the first in the county. John Ross, Daniel Agenbrod and James Fergus subsequently settled in this township, the latter becoming a member of the State legislature. Philip and Jacob Sailor settled on Indian creek at an early date and David Puterbaugh settled here in 1813. John Clayton, an Irishman and a soldier of the War of 1812, settled here at the close of hostilities. Among others to come about the same time were William Ellis, David, John and Abraham Studebaker, and John and Daniel Newcomb, the latter two gentlemen coming from Scotland. The first mill to be erected was propelled by ox power, being a treadmill, this mill being erected and operated by a man named Teller. Probably the second mill to be erected in this township was that of Mordecai Mendenhall. In 1815 a mill was built at the mouth of Honey creek by David Staley, it later passing into the hands of Daniel Babb. Daniel Babb seems to have been a man of broad activities. In addition to his mill, he operated a store, coopershop and blacksmith shop, the site of these industries later being called Babbtown in honor of its founder.

One of the first churches to be erected in this township was a log church, presented by Davis H. Morris to the Methodist Episcopalians. The Methodists had erected a frame structure some few years previously and this was called Palmer's chapel, the Rev. Mr. Tatman being the first minister to officiate in this church. Among the early ministers of the Methodist Episcopalians were William H. Raper, James Finley and David Dyke. In 1802 the first schoolhouse was erected in the township and in 1804 another log school house was erected on Section 23, the first teacher being a man named Keelan.

Monroe Township, page 517

The first land entry in Monroe township was that of George Gillespie, who entered land in Sections 11 and 14, September 24, 1804. The same year Samuel Freeman and John Freeman entered land here and the year following the entries were J. Fare, James Reed, Christian Grice, James Youart, Benjamin Chaney and Hance Murdock. David Jenkins and his four sons, Phineas, Amos, Eli and Jesse settled in Section 8, accompanying them from South Carolina was Elisha Jones who also settled in this town ship. John Clark removed from Maryland and later became a very successful boatman.

David Jenkins, or, as he was known, David Jenkins, Esq., became a justice of the peace of this township in 1818, continuing in this office until 1858. Thomas Pearson emigrated from South Carolina and was in his seventy-sixth year when he arrived here, with him were his sons, Enoch, Jonas and Thomas, Jr., Enoch becoming the first blacksmith in the township. John Jay and his family of seven sons and three daughters were early arrivals, a son, Walter Jay, being an ardent prohibitionist, a very rare species at that time; be was also a pronounced abolitionist and a man of great force of character. Among others of the early families to arrive here were the Macys, Kerrs, Laytons, Ferguses, Westlakes, Puterbaughs, Schaeffers and Furnases.

Washington Township, page 517

Part of this township, that portion around the old Indian town known as Upper Piqua, was among the very early settlements of this region. Around this vicinity, the Shawanoes and Miamis held forth and a number of their villages are supposed to have been located within the boundaries of this township. Much of the history of this township is interwoven with the history of Piqua. A man named Job Gard built a cabin near what is now Piqua in 1798 and in 1799 John Manning located on what is now the east side of Harrison street. John Manning and Mathew Caldwell entered the land on which the early site of Piqua was laid out. The earliest land entries in this township were those of Mathew Caldwell, Edward Newcomb, John Manning, Joseph Bedle and William Willis from 1804 to 1805 and from 1805 to 1810 were Joseph Lovell, Samuel Trotter, James Vamman, John Widney and Henry Orbison.

Newberry Township, page 518

One of the first white men to locate in Newberry township was one McDonald, who came from South Carolina. His stay, however, was brief, returning to South Carolina in company with another dissatisfied settler named John Harrison. David Ziegler was the first to enter land in this township, he locating here in April, 1801. Michael Ingle was the next to settle within the boundaries of this township, entering land Nov. 15, 1804. Others who subsequently entered land were Thomas Hill in 1805, John Miller in 1805, S. Thompson in 1805. Subsequently Samuel Brown and John and William Coates located here. Michael Ingle established and conducted the first tannery in the township and was rated a well-to- do man after being here but a short time. The outbreak of the war of 1812 caused a general scattering of the settlers for the time being, many of whom enlisted for service in this war. One of the first mills built in this township was that of Jacob Ullery, who erected a water mill at the mouth of Greenville creek.

The earliest school of this township stood at the north end of what is now High street, Covington. Among the early school teachers were John Barbour and Benjamin Dunham, Joshua Sanders and David Brumbaugh. Amos Perry was the first justice of the peace in this township, he later representing this country in the State legislature. The Dunkards held religious-meetings at a very early date, not, however, having a regular church organization until about 1845. The Christians or New Light church held meetings prior to 1820 in dwellings and barns of the faithful, the Rev. Stackhouse ministering to the wants of this congregation at that time, he later organizing the Trotter's Creek church. Among the adherents of this church at that time were William Knox and wife, William and Lemuel Templeton and families, John McClurg and wife and Samuel Nicholson and wife. In 1824 Caleb Worley became the pastor of this church and continued so for many Years, until dissension among the members caused the disorganization of the church.

Agriculture in Miami County, page 518

Miami county, with a population of 47,000, is self-supporting for all ordinary agricultural products, and even in this day of phenomcnal prices, reflects a wholesome condition as far as food prices are concerned. The latest government reports give the following figures in the live stock census: Cattle, 17,000; horses, 11,000; sheep 2,500; hogs, 25,000; pounds of wool, 7,000.

In the great crisis of the last several years when every nerve was strained to produce not only enough food for the United States but for our fighting men abroad and our suffering Allies, the farmers of Miami county, handicapped though they were by insufficient and often inexperienced labor, made a valient effort to exceed all former records in the production of grain. The results were most gratifying and the following figures may give some idea of what was accomplished: 3,330,000 pounds of tobacco, 1,000,000 bushels of oats, 2,200,000 bushels of corn,, 13,000 tons of hay, 14,000 tons of clover hay, 119,000 bushels of potatoes, 103,965 bushels of apples. Of dairy products there were 430,000 gallons of milk produced for family use and 608,000 pounds of butter made in home dairies.

Again the comparison of the early days with those of today is most interesting. Modern machinery, scientific analysis of soil, agricultural associations, extension courses from state universities and many other forces have completely revolutionized farming. When the first white man came out to the wilderness his first task was to chop down the trees, not with mechanically driven saws, but with an ax and the muscles of a pair of well-developed arms. When he had succeeded in making his clearing, he began to prepare the soil for its first crop. The tools and implements that he had brought with him, although the best the times provided, were, in the light of present-day improvements, most rude and clumsy. Plowing was a slow, laborious process; when his grain was ripe he had only the sickle with which to cut it, or, if his crop happened to be flax, he pulled it by hand. No automatic hayloaders nor binding machines, corn planters nor reapers facilitated matters for him. The oldfashioned flail threshed out the grain in the barn, the sheaves of wheat and stacks of cornstalks were made by hand, hay was loaded on the rude wagons by a long fork and man- power was the controlling element in farm life of the day. However, the poorest kind of farming at that time was productive of abundant crops, for the virgin soil yielded bountifully to the slightest attempt to cultivate it.

Not only was the farmer handicapped by lack of implements, but he had little opportunity to market his produce. The Miami county farmer had no sale for his grain nearer than Dayton or Cincinnati, and it was a laborious task to haul it over the rough half cut road on the ponderous wagons of the time, or put it on flatboats and pole it down the river to either of the two towns. Those who had not brought wagons with them from the other side of the mountains had to build their own, and awkward affairs they were, with heavy wheels and huge axles, made to stand the wear and tear of travel on the rough, irregular roads.

The farmer also had to add to his other duties, house-building and home-furnishing. The first log cabins in time gave place to larger frame houses, with glass windows and spacious porches; hired labor being unobtainable, the neighbors would always be found ready and willing to get together for a "barn raising" or to harvest each other's crops. The crops at first consisted chiefly of oats, barley, Indian corn, wheat and rye. Wheat and corn were the two principal crops and unless attacks from the Hessian fly or the weavel harmed them the yield was most bountiful. Rye was raised chiefly for the manufacture of whiskey, and averaged about twenty- five bushels per acre. The straw from the rye was used as fodder for the horses. Oats was produced at about the rate of thirty- five bushels to the acre, and barley, which was largely used to supply two large breweries that later, were established in Cincinnati, at the rate of thirty bushels to the acre. In another chapter is to be found an account of the linseed oil industry that grew up in Miami county, making it a center for that commodity. Flax was therefore raised in large quantities for some time. In the lowlands some hemp was also raised and in the luxuriant meadows of the county different kinds of grass were grown in great abundance. Timothy, clover and grass for pasture grew with almost no encouragement. The woods supplied nuts and acorns for the swine, and the game that abounded in the forest provided ainple meat for the farmers with the expenditure of very little time or effort. Although Miami county is not notably a fruit section, 80,000 apple trees yielded in 1918 103,965 bushels of apples.

The Miami County Agricultural Society, page 520

As agriculture was the prevailing industry in the county for many years, the time for organization of those interested came in the year 1846. At that time the Troy Times published a notice that all who were interested in the formation of a society to promote the welfare of the farmers should meet in the office of John G. Telford in Troy. It proved to be a very enthusiastic meeting and it was decided that steps should be taken to organize an agricultural society. A committee cornposed of William Giffin, David H. Morris, William I. Thomas and William B. McClung was appointed to draft a constitution and bylaws for the proposed society. The constitution which was submitted by this committee was as follows:

Article 1. This Association shall be called the Miami Countv Agricultural Society.

Article 11. The object of the society shall be the circulation of general intelligence and practical instruction in all the branches of agriculture.

1. By the establishment of a permanent library of the best books and periodicals, illustrative of the principles and practices of the sciences.

2. By the establishment of a correspondence with other bodies seeking the same object.

3. By procuring the most rare and valuable kinds of seeds, plants, shrubs and trees.

4. By the establishment of exhibitions at which premiums shall be awarded for the improvements of soil, tillage, crops, manure, implements of husbandry, stocks, articles of domestic industry, and such other articles, productions and improvements as may be deemed worthy of encouragement.

Article III. The officers of the Society shall consist of a President, three Vice-Presidents, Corresponding Secretary, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Librarian, standing committee of five persons on Agriculture, and a Board of Directors to be composed of the President, Vice-Presidents, and Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture, which Board shall have charge and general management of the property and business of the society, subject, however, to the order and direction thereof.

Article IV. All the officers shall be chosen by ballot, at the annual meeting of the society, which shall be held on the first Saturday in September in each year at such hour and place as the directors shall order.

Article V. All special meetings of the society shall be called by the recording secretary on the requisition of a majority of the directors, or of any five members, made in writing therefor; a notice thereof, as well as of all general meetings, shall be published in one or more of the newspapers of the county fifteen days or more before each meeting.

Article VI. Any person may become a life member of the society on the payment of $10 into the treasury at any one time.

Article VII. This constitution may be altered or amended by the votes of two-thirds of the members present at any regular meeting, providing the same shall have been proposed in writing at a previous regular meeting.

The election of officers that followed the adoption of the foregoing document, made William I. Thomas president; William C. Knight, Cyrus Haywood and David Jenkins, vice-presidents; D. H. Morris, corresponding secretary; G. D. Burgess, recording secretary; Jacob Knoop, treasurer; H. D. Stout, librarian; John Hamilton, Daniel Brown, James McCain, Zimri Heald and William Giffin, committee on agriculture. The by-laws of the society provided for the annual membership fee of $1.00 per person, and a fine for any books held longer than the rules of the library permitted. The penalty for failure to pay such fines and dues was expulsion from the society. The library seemed to be the chief interest and all the books were carefully catalogued, and an accurate record was made of all withdrawals. In addition to the regular meetings provision was made for the holding of three special meetings to be held on the first Thursday of the months of December, March and June, for the purpose of "hearing addresses, discussing questions, and receiving reports on the several subjects embraced by the society." The first of these speeches was given at the first quarterly meeting which was held December 5, 1856, by the president, Mr. William Thomas, on the subject, "Scientific Husbandry." So much intcrest was manifested in the new organization that a representative was sent to the State Pomological Society exhibition in 1851, which was held in Cincinnati. Jacob Knoop was the honored member at this meeting, and somewhat later Dr. Asa Coleman was chosen to represent the Miami County Society at the meeting of the State Board of Agriculture.

The next important question that arose was that of a suitable place to hold exhibits and fairs that were the natural results of the enthusiasm that had been aroused. At first the spacious barn of W. H. Gahagan, on East Main street, Troy, was used for County Fairs and later the old Fairgrounds, situated on the present site of the Troy Water Works. In 1856, the Fair Board bought of William Senior, about forty acres of land in order to establish permanent grounds for the annual agricultural exhibits, horse races and other activities connected with the Agricultural Society. Fifteen hundred and twenty dollars wcre paid for this tract and somewhat later an Exhibit Hall was erected for the use of the contestants. For fifteen years this site was used, but by 1871 the space proved inadequate and a new Fairground was established on ground that was purchased by the Board from Mrs. Eliza McKaig. This land lay on the west side of the Piqua pike, one mile north of Troy. The old method of electing directors in open session of the society gave place to the better way of having two directors from each township, chosen by the electors of the county at annual e lections. Much has been done in late years to make the grounds as attractive and cornmodious as possible. The old grandstand was replaced in 1916, by a concrete stadium which seats 2,860 persons. Several other modern buildings have been erected in late years for exhibition purposes and some of the finest specimens of agricultural products shown in the state are presented here for inspection. The showings of needle work and fine baking and canning, entered by the women of the county, prove the superior quality of the housewives and the interest that they take in their work. Miami county has sent many boys and girls to the Ohio State university, colleges of agriculture and household economics, and there have been several extension schools sent to Miami county which have not only been instructive but have encouraged prospective farmers and housekeepers to fit themselves to be most up-to-date and scientific in their work. Courses in agriculture and in domestic science and domestic art are offered in all the county schools at present, and, with a trained group of young people going out every year to put scientific management into the work of running their farms, farming will very soon take its place among the leading professions. During the war great interest was aroused among the school children as to who should raise the greatest quantity and of the highest quality of vegetables and fruit. Some schools had school gardens, but most of the work was done through the schools in the home gardens, and at the end of the season prizes were awarded to the successful young grower. War needs and war prices stimulated production throughout the county and bumper crops were the result. The agricultural society each year gives two boys and two girls free trips to Ohio State University's Farmers' Week, an annual event; the boys are awarded these trips on Pig-Growing contests and the girls are awarded for excellence in their work in the girls food- clubs, etc. The present officers of the Miami County Agricultural Society are: President, George A. Fry, Tippecanoe City; Vice- president, Georgc Stapleton, Conover; Treasurer, J. H. Miller, West Milton; Secretary, C. W. Kline, Troy.

The Miami County Horticultural Society, page 522
is a most efficient organization for the promotion of interest in the production of fruits. Miami county has several very fine Nurseries and numerous orchards as well as some excellent vineyards and berry patches. The owners of these keep in touch with the work of the Horticultural Society and at their meetings discussions and papers prove most instructive.

In addition to the farm products that have already been mentioned tobacco has been successfully raised for some years. Both seed-leaf and Spanish are grown, and recent prices have made this crop one of the most profitable of any raised in the county.

To discuss the agricultural interests of Miami county and fail to mention the stock breeding industry would be to omit one of the most important phases of the subject. In the last sixt years the growth of the business of raising blooded stock has been remarkable. In 1860 Jersey cattle were first brought to Miami county and were raised on the Johnston farm near Piqua. The first one in Troy belonged to Chas. McCullough. The first entry of Holstein cattle at a Miami County Fair was made in 1876 by N. H. Albaugh. Captain John Drury brought the first Morgan horse to Troy, and in about 1860 displayed the first English draft horse in the county. About ten years later the first Norman horses appeared. In 1847 Zimri Heald, whom we remember as one of the first officers of the Miami County Agricultural Society, introduced Merino sheep to the farmers of the county, and for many years this was the only kind to be found in the vicinity.

The raising of thoroughbred swine has made Miami county famous among stockbreeders throughout the United States. For the last twenty years, Ira Jackson, of Tippecanoe City, has been one of the most progressive and constructive breeders of Duroc Jersey hogs. He has produced a type that is so fine that the best breeders from every state in the Union attend his sales and buy his hogs for breeding purposes. Mr. Jackson's successful feats were the production of two hogs, Orion Cherry King, that won the Royal Grand Championship over the Grand Champions of all other breeds. This hog later sold for $10,500, subsequently another of his prize winners, Longenduffer-Siegel, was sold for the phenomenal price of $35,000.

Farmers' Institute, page 523

Under the state law, each county may have state assistance at any four institutes held during the year. These institutes are held under the direction of the State Department of Agriculture and are very helpful adjuncts in the propagation of approved methods,of agriculture. The state defrays the expenses of outside speakers to address these institutes, generally choosing men who are considered authorities on special branches of agriculture, in live stock raising, etc. The four institutes held each year in Miami county under state direction are always well attended and are of the greatest benefit. In addition, independent institutes are held which greatly supplement this work among the farmers.

The County Experimental Farm, page 523

Embracing 122 1/2 acres of land, situated about two miles west of Troy, the experimental farm of Miami county is rapidly becoming a source of much valuable information to the farmers of this vicinity. This farm was established in 1911 and is under the supervision of the Ohio State Experiment Station. Its work thus far has more than justified its establishment. In conjunction with the Experiment Station at Wooster, the Miami station has been developed along the advanced ideas in agricultural experiments. All varieties of grain are tested, not only in laboratory work, but in the actual adaptation to soil conditions; this station observing ten rotations of crops on its acreage. All fertilizers are experimented with; not only the well known commercial variety, but others of various kinds are subjected to actual tests to determine their efficacy to the farmers of this community. The experiments thus far, in live stock, have been largely confined to hogs; hog raising ing in Miami county, being one of the leading items, and probably a more important item in Miami county than in many others, considered in the light of past achievements. The local experiment station is in charge of R. R. Barker, the well-known agriculturist, whose personal efforts have had much to do with the development of experimentation work in this state, and especially in this county. P. A. Jones is the active foreman of the local station.

End of Part Two
1920 History of Miami County

Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage Association.
All Rights Reserved.