Miami County, Ohio Genealogical Researchers -- Sponsored by the Computerized Heritage Association


    A native son of Miami county, David Ellison Ullery is now a retired farmer, living in Covington. He was born October 25, 1839, on the old home farm in Newberry township, and for many years he has been actively identified with the. agricultural interests of the county, but at the present time, having acquired a handsome competence, he is living retired in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil. His grandfather, Jacob Ullery, was born on Chincoteague Island, just off the eastern shore of Maryland, March 5, 1772, and came to Ohio about 1810. His death occurred in Newberry township, August 7, 1847, and he was buried in Sugar Grove cemetery. He was of German descent and a member of the Dunkard or German Baptist church.

    David Ullery, the father of our subject, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, February 28, 1809, and during his boyhood accompanied his parents to Miami county. He was reared in the usual manner of farmer lads, acquired a limited education in Newberry township and was a highly respected citizen of that community. He was married, March 8, 1836, to Alsey Gibbons, who was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, March 20, 1818, a daughter of James and Mary Gibbons, natives of Ireland. The Gibbons family came to Miami county at an early day, and Mrs. Mary Gibbons died in Newberry township, February 27, 1853, at the advanced age of ninety years. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Ullery were born the following children: Jacob, who was killed at the battle of Atlanta, Georgia, July 21, 1864; James G., who died in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and whose wife was Nellie Surratt, a native of Tennessee; and Mary E., who died April 8, 1873. David Ullery died June 5, 1842. His wife survived him until April 8, 1856.

    David E. Ullery, whose name introduces this review, pursued his education in the old Hart schoolhouse, where he became familiar with the elementary branches of English learning. He was reared in the usual manner of farmer lads of the time, in a pleasant home where habits of industry and honesty were inculcated. During his boyhood his father died, and after his death the farm, comprising a quarter-section of land, was operated by his elder brother. He began the work of the fields at a very early age, and becoming greatly attached to his old home, he could not endure to see it pass into the hands of strangers, and, although he was not able to buy it all, when it was sold he purchased one hundred acres of it. In the spring of 1872, he began the operation of a sawmill and followed that business in connection with farming for twenty-eight years. His enterprise was successfully conducted and his marked energy, perseverance and business ability enabled him to acquire a comfortable competence.

    In the spring of 1861, in company with Hugh Hart, an old school friend, he started on horseback for Illinois to visit his brother, Jacob Ullery, but before they reached their destination Fort Sumter had been fired upon. This news stirred the patriotic blood of these two young travelers and before reaching their journey's end they had determined to enlist. When they arrived in Illinois they found that Mr. Ullery's brother, Jacob, had already joined the army, and David became a member of the same company for three months' service. Before the Twentieth Illinois Regiment was formed, however, the quota was full, and the legislature, being in session, issued a call for thirty-day men and the Twentieth responded to that call. Mr. Ullery, of this review, enlisted on the 22d of April, 1861, and was assigned to Company D, Twentieth regiment of Illinois Volunteers, under Captain Charles L. Paige. He afterward re-enlisted as a veteran and served until the close of the war.. He and his brother fought side by side until the battle of Atlanta, Georgia, where his brother was killed, shot by a musket ball. He died on the field, giving his life a ransom for his country's preservation. The Twentieth Regiment was assigned to John A. McClernand's Division, and after the battle of Shiloh was in the First Brigade, Third Division, under command of General John A. Logan, in the Seventeenth Army Corps, under the command of General McPherson. Mr. Ullery participated in the battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelsoii, Shiloh, where he was wounded by a piece of shell, and in many smaller engagements in the Corilith campaign and around Vicksburg. He took part in the battles of Port Gibson and Raymond, and in the latter was severely wounded in the left breast and right shoulder, the ball passing through about fourteen inches of flesh, also injuring the right lung, from the effects of which he has never recovered. He remained in the field hospital until after the capitulation of Vicksburg, when, in July, i863, he was taken to Lawson Hospital at St. Louis, where he remained until October of that year, when he returned to his regiment. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant and was with Sherman's command on the march of one hundred miles to Meridian. In the spring of i864, after re-enlisting, he was granted a thirty-day furlough, at the end of which time he joined his regiment in Springfield, Illinois, and soon after joined Sherman's army at Ackworth, Georgia, when he took part in the battles of Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta, and in the latter the regiment lost fifty four men, killed and wounded, on July 2I, thus being reduced to only one hundred and fifty men. On the 22nd of July, the Twentieth Illinois did some very desperate fighting, and at sunset it numbered but one officer and several nteen men who were still able to hold their position on the line. On that day Mr. Ullery was captured and remained at Andersonville prison until October 1, 1864, when he was sent to Savannah, Georgia, for a few days. He afterwards spent thirty days in Charleston, South Carolina, after which be was incarcerated in Florence, that state, until February 27, 1865. At Wilmington, North Carolina, he was paroled and sent to St. Louis, by way of Annapolis, Maryland. On his way to the former city he visited his people and also paid a visit to his sweetheart in Piqua, Ohio. ******* He finally reported at St. Louis and was sent to Springfield, Illinois, where he was discharged on the 13th of July i865, having served four years, two months, and twenty-one days. He came home shattered in health, weighing only seventy pounds, oweing to the rigors and hardships, of war.

    On the 26th of August, 1865, only about a month after his return, Mr. Ullery was united in marriage to Miss Rachel C. Passage, of Piqua, Ohio, a representative of one of the old pioneer families of the state. Her grandfather, Henry Passage, was married in New York city to Miss Clausser, a Gernial lady, and their ******* children were Peter, John, Peggie, Elizabeth and Stephen. He died near New Waverly, Indiana, having emigrated westward at an early day. Peter Passage, the father of Mrs. Ullery, was born in Connecticut, in 1801, and when fourteen years of age went to New York city where he was reared to manhood. By trade he was a cabinet-maker, and at an early day he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he learned surveying. He surveyed much of the country, as far west as Fort Wayne, Indiana, and in that work was associated with Captain Riley, a noted surveyor of that state. He followed that business until a year prior to his marriage, which important event of his life occurred in Piqua, the lady of his choice being Miss Sarah Lines, a daughter of Levi Lines. The maternal great- grand father of Mrs. Ullery was Samuel Lines, who, with his wife, came from England in colonial days, locating in Connecticut when the Indians were numerous in that state. One night the red men attacked their home and burned their cabin. They also 507 carried away the grandfather of Mrs. Ullery. He was taken to Canada and lived with the Indians until he had attained man's estate, when he returned to his home. The pewter ware of the family had been buried on the night of the attack, and upon his return he took it up, finding it just where it had been placed many years before. After their marriage Peter Passage and his wife resided for a time at Piqua and then removed to New Carlisle, Ohio. Later they purchased a farm at Defiance, Ohio, and while on the way there Mr. Passage was persuaded to accept a position as section boss of the canal, and while engaged in that work, his family made their home at Houston, Shelby county, Ohio. Some time afterward he purchased a section of land in Shelby county, and it is upon this tract that the reservoir now stands. Mr. Passage returned to Houston, where his death occurred December 20, 1845. In his early manhood he was a member of the Christian church, and in his life exemplified his belief. After his death, his widow and her family located at Piqua, and after the marriage of Mrs. Ullery, the mother made her home with her until she, too, was called away, in 1887, at the age of eighty-six years. She was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1801, and was nine years old when her parents removed to Piqua, making the journey in a wagon. On reaching Mad river, they found the stream so swollen that they were compelled to halt for two weeks, and during that time their horses were stolen by the Indians. Theirs was the fifth house built in Piqua, so that the Lines family can well be termed honorable pioneers of Miami county. Mrs. Passage witnessed the first treaty made with the Indians and could relate many interesting incidents of the pioneer days of the Buckeye state. By her marriage she became the mother of the following children, namely: Cinderella, widow of Anthony Harp, of Polo, Ohio; Elizabeth, widow of James Harp, of Piqua; Levi, who served in the civil war and died in Fort Wayne, Indiana, about 1889; Rebecca, wife of John Sprague; Peter, who was a corporal in the Eighth Ohio Cavalry and was wounded at the battle of Beverly, but did not die until many years later, his death occurring in Polo, in 1896; Mrs. Ullery; and Jennie, wife of Jacob Bowers. He served in the Eighth Ohio Cavalry during the civil war, and after his death his widow became the wife of David Daniels, but survived her second marriage only one year.

    After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Ullery, the young couple went to the home that he had prepared for his bride upon a part of the old homestead. There they enjoyed many years of happiness, devoted to each other and their family. They had six children: Minnie G., now the wife of William Drees, of Covington, Ohio; James Ellison, who died at the age of two and a half years; Sadie E., wife of William Orr, of Piqua; Clifford C., who died at the age of eighteen; Joseph C. and Gustin C., who are at home.

    In public affairs Mr. Ullery has been very prominent. He was connected with the township school board in different capacities for fourteen years, and the cause of education found in him a warm friend who greatly promoted the interests of the schools. He also served eleven years as township trustee. He was elected real estate appraiser of Newberry township in the fall of 1899, without opposition. In politics he is a stalwart Republican, unswerving in his advocacy of the principles of the party. Socially he is con- 508 nected with Langston Post, G. A. R., of Covington, and since 1872 has been a member of the Christian church. Mr. Ullery has made good use of his opportunities, has prospered from year to year, has conducted his business affairs carefully and successfully and in all his acts displays an aptitude for successful management. He has not permitted the acquiring of wealth to effect in any way his actions towards those less successful than he, and has always a cheerful word and pleasant smile for all with whom he has come in contact. As a citizen he is as loyal to his country as when upon the field of battle he followed the old flag. His career has indeed been an upright and honorable one, worthy of high commendation, and he well deserves to be classed among the enterprising and honored citizens of his native county.

    Return to the Biography Index

    Copyright © 2000 by Computerized Heritage Association.
    All Rights Reserved.