Miami County, Ohio Genealogical Researchers -- Sponsored by the Computerized Heritage Association


    REV. JACOB COPPOCK, a minister of the Brethren Church, residing on his farm of 160 acres, which is situated in Section 22, Bethel Township, Miami County, was born in Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio, August 8, 1844. His parents were Samuel and Delany (Blickenstaff) Coppock. The Coppock family came originally from England and its early religious association was with the Quakers.

    Samuel Coppock, father of Jacob, was born in Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio, in 1817, and spent almost all his life on his farm there, his death occurring March 13, 1903, his widow surviving him but a few years. They both were interred in Maple Hill Cemetery at Tippecanoe City. Late in life he became a minister in the Brethren Church. He married a daughter of Jacob Blickenstaff, and they had six children, as follows: Moses A., who married Isabel Iddings; Jacob, our subject; John W., who married Mary C. Hickes; Mary, who is the widow of A. G. Martindale; Elias, who married (first) Elizabeth Wells, and (second) Nancy Horst; and Elizabeth, who married M. P. Idemiller.

    Rev. Jacob Coppock attended the Pearson District School on the Pearson farm. one mile west of Tippecanoe City, in his boyhood and afterward assisted his father on the home place. After his marriage, in 1868, he settled first near Tippecanoe City and then located on his present farm on which his wife was born. It contains 160 acres and is managed by the sons-in-law, Mr. Coppock giving all his time to his work as a minister, having charge of three churches with a membership of 500 individuals. From early youth his mind was directed into serious channels and since October, 1881, he has been an accepted minister. He is a well informed man and one who is particularly well fitted to fill the office that has been bestowed on him. He gives all his time and all his energies to his people and they, in turn, respect and love him.

    Mr. Coppock married in Miami County, on January 16, 1868, Susan Studebaker, the estimable daughter of S. S. and Nancy Studebaker, and they have six children, as follows: Mary Effie, who married H. B. Landis; Nancy May, who married J. S. Flory; Nettie Delany, who married Sumner Senseman; Fern, who resides at home; and a twin of Fern and another babe died in infancy. Mr. Coppock has taken much interest in educational matters, affording his children excellent advantages and giving service on the School Board aggregating twelve years. He is in sympathy with the principles of the Republican party.; The following is a history of Hickory Grove Church, written by Mr. Coppock:


    From the year 1827 the territory now known as Donnel's Creek, Lost Creek and Hickory Grove were one organization presided over by Elder Christian Frantz. In the part now called Hickory Grove, Isaac Darst was a minister in the second degree and John Studebaker, deacon; in all about twenty-five members. In 1830 Henry Harshbarger, David Landis, deacons, and Isaac Karns elder, moved in. Then what is now Hickory Grove Church was organized with about forty members under the care of Isaac Karns.

    In the fall of 1832 Isaac Darst died. In 1833 John Studebaker died. Soon after Abraham Studebaker was elected deacon. In 1835 Henry Harshbarger moved out and David Landis was elected to the ministry. In 1836 David Shelabarger, Adam Stinebarger and Henry Rubsom, ministers in the second degree moved in, and Isaac Karns moved to Indiana. Shelabarger's certificate of membership contained in addition to the usual recommendation the statement that he was sufficiently established to be ordained, but it had not been done for want help, and though a novice he was ordained which was the key to years trouble in the church.

    In 1837 James Ward and Daniel Arnold were elected deacons. Ward at this time insisted on the ordination of Darst, so that their children could be married in English. Some time later Ward moved out. About 1849 the interest in the good cause grew so low that for a time there were no regular preaching services held, though there were three resident ministers; but by the efforts of David Bowman, John Darst and Peter Nead the work was again established, David Shelabarger being in charge.

    In 1853 David Landis and David Shelabarger moved out, and Joseph Arnold and Jacob Snell were elected deacons. David Studebaker, a minister in the second degree, moved in. He proved a minister of great influence, and being dead yet speaketh. Now there were about eighty members. In 1855 the present house of worship was built. Prior to that time services were held in private homes. In 1856 Abraham Studebaker died. In 1858 Joseph Arnold was elected to the ministry, S. S. Studebaker deacon, and Henry Rubsom and Adam Stinebarger ordained. From the time David Shelabarger moved out until the above ordination the church was under the care of Elder John Frantz, of Donnel's Creek.

    In 1860 John Crist was elected to the ministry and Samuel Coppock and Jacob Frantz, deacons. In 1861 Jesse Studebaker, minister in second degree, moved in. He remained three years. In 1862 John Crist was advanced to the second degree, and soon moved to Illinois. In 1863 G. W. Studebaker moved in and labored here for two years, then moved to Indiana. In this time the death of David Studebaker occurred, which was deeply lamented. There were now one hundred members.

    About this time (1865) Rubsom and Stinebarger were relieved of their ministry by a committee from Annual Meeting and H. D. Davy and Abraham Flory placed in charge; Flory remained in charge until the division of '81. In 1866 Samuel Coppock was elected minister, Jacob Hawier and John Filburn, deacons. In 1872 Isaac Studebaker, minister in second degree, moved in. In 1873 O. F. Yount was called to the ministry and was labored here until 1876. The Middle District formed; he and Samuel Coppock were living in that territory. In 1879 Jos. Arnold was ordained and Jacob Coppock and D. S. Filburn were elected deacons. In 1880 Henry Gump was called to the ministry and Harrison Shull, a deacon, moved in.

    In 1881 the memorable divide took from us about thirty members, including Elder Flory, our minister, and three deacons, leaving the church with Henry Gump, minister and two deacons; in all about one hundred members. The church now called Elder John Smith to take charge. The experiences in the division were such that the church was knit together with a very strong feeling of love that, barring a few little incidents along the way, exists today to a very great degree.

    In 1881 Jacob Coppock was called to the ministry and Henry Gump advanced to the second degree. In 1882 the first series of meetings was held by the assistance of I. J. Rosenberger. The meetings were held with many fears on the part of some and deep anxiety on the part of others; they resulted in twenty eight accessions and greatly confirmed the members. in 1885 D. S. Filburn was called to the ministry and Jacob Denlinger and John Tanreuther were elected deacons, and after a short service in their official capacity they both went to their reward. In 1886 Henry Gump was ordained and Jacob Snell elected deacon. In 1891 Samuel Studebaker, Jr., and Geo. Zimmerman were called to the deaconship. In 1893 Samuel Gump was called to the ministry.

    The official board now stands: ministers, Henry Gump, Jacob Coppock, D. S. Filburn and Samuel Gump; deacons, Jacob Hawyer, Jacob Snell, George Zimmerman and Samuel Studebaker. There are now about 150 members. During this time there have been two committees from Annual Meeting to settle difficulties. We now have three points of regular preaching, with a fair attendance and interest. At no period in the history of the church was there a greater per cent of the Brethren's children in the church than now.

    Return to the Biography Index

    Return to Main Page

    Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage Association.
    All Rights Reserved.