Formed 1 March 1825
Newberry Township is bordered by Darke County on the west and Shelby
County on the north. It is crossed by both the Stillwater River and Greenville
Creek. Darke County and Shelby County were both cut from part of
Michael Ingle located on sections 17 and 20 in 1807 and became the township's
first permanent settler. He built and operated the first tannery in the
township and built one of the first houses in what was to become the village
Covington was platted in 1816. It contained 36 town lots and was located
in section 30 of the township. The villages of Bradford, Bloomer and Clayton
are also located within the township.
The township is crossed by numerous roadways, including the Piqua-Greenville
Road (Rt 36), the Troy-Covington Pike (Rt 41),
and the Dayton-Covington Pike (Rt. 48).
- Newberry Township Trustee's Records Office
- Newberry Township Map from the 1883 Atlas (170.4K
- Map of Graveyard locations in Newberry Township (15.8K
- "Cemetery Inscriptions of Newberry Township
Miami County Ohio", by Joseph H. Bosserman is available
at the Brethren Heritage Center, 428 Wolf Creek St., Brookville OH 45309.
For further details contact
Return to Main Page