from Chapter 5, starting on page 82, of
1909 History of Miami County Ohio
Last but not least of the western tier of townships is Newberry. It occupies the northwest corner of the county and is bounded by Shelby County on the north, by Darke on the west, by Washington Township on the east and by Newton on the south. There is no exact data giving the organization of Newberry Township, but historians place it about 1810. The nomenclature of the name Newberry is also undiscoverable. It is watered by the Stillwater and Greenville Creek, into which flow numerous tributaries that afford it excellent drainage. In the early days of the township's existence it was the abode of many poisonous reptiles which infested the stony banks of its streams, but the settlers made war on them and they were finally exterminated. South Carolina has the distinction of leading the way into Newberry. In 1806 one McDonald settled on Harrison's Creek near Covington, and in the following year Michael Ingle erected a cabin at the mouth of Trotter's Creek. Ingle was a tanner, but a farmer as well, and he resided on his farm till 1838. He is regarded as Newberry's first white settler. Following the Ingles came the Coates, William and John, and soon Daniel Wright put up his little cabin. These men were true sons of the soil and labored hard to establish themselves in their chosen quarters. In 1810 Jacob Ullery purchased land in Newberry Township and his selection has proven the most valuable within its limits. Newberry Township's prosperity was hampered by the same misfortune that was felt in other parts of the county - the War of 1812. Some of her citizens were the first in the field. They saw the danger and responded nobly. Captain George Buchanan commanded a company in which many of Newberry's citizens served, and his scope was the Stillwater Valley, which was several times threatened by the Indians. A blockhouse, which stood near the site of the old Pan Handle Depot in Covington, afforded protection for the inhabitants. It was near the spot where stood "Fort Rowdy," which marked General Wayne's encampment in 1794. At the breaking out of our second war with England there were nine families in Newberry Township. These people lived in constant dread during the greater part of the struggle, and though Indian depredatious were committed in other parts of the county, Newberry did not experience any of the actual horrors of war. The town of Covington, which is the principal municipality in Newberry Township, was laid out by David Wright and Jacob Ullery in 1816. Benjamin Cox surveyed the land for the town, but his work was never acknowledged by Ullery and Wright . There is a tradition that when the town came to be named, "Friendship" and "Newberry" were suggested and even the name of "Rowdy" was thought of; but the first postoffice was called Stillwater, certainly an euphonious name. Afterward the name of Covington was given to the beautiful town. When it came to house building, Elijah Reagan distanced all his competitors and erected the first one, Michael Ingle put up a double log cabin and Noah Hanks built a frame store. This is the genesis of Covington. After the house building came various industries until now Covington, for a town of its size, keeps pace with its neighbors. It has now a population of 1,800. It has furnished some prominent legislators in the Ohio Assembly and numerous county officers. The first election for town officers was held in 1835, at which the following were chosen: Mayor- Gilbert Adams; recorder- William Robinson; trustees- Charles Orwan, Joshua Orr, Thomas McKenzie. Samuel Patterson was elected mayor in 1837. From this date the mayor's record seems to have been lost, but the following persons have filled the office since 1850: B. Neff, Joseph Marlin, C. H. Gross, William Couffer, T. A. Worley, W. G. Bryant, Isaac Sherzer, David Diltz, J. L. Smart, John V. Griffin, Adam Minnich, D.C. Shellenbarger, J.H. Marlin, S.C. Sisson, D. J. Martin, S.D. Palmer, R. F. Alberry, M.H. Nill. The present roster of Covington is as follows: Mayor- M. H. Nill; clerk-Glen P. Shawver treasuror-John S. Dollinger; marshal-H. J. Hake; council-W. H. Minton, B. Swisher: R. W. Himes, Charles MeMakin, William Vandergrift, A. S. Rosenberger. Covington is a well situated and well governed town. It has two banks (see Chapter II Banks and Banking"), two newspapers, the Gazette and Tribune, many churches, a fine system of waterworks, an electric light plant, a well-graded public school, three railways, two steam and one electric, and numerous shops and stores. There is no more progressive town in the county. Newberry Township also contains a part of the town of Bradford, which has the Pan Handle yards, a bank and numerous industries. Several small clusters of houses which can scarcely be designated as towns dot the township and these show signs of healthy growth.
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage
All Rights Reserved.