Formed 3 February 1818
Monroe Township borders Montgomery County on the south.
It contains 36 full and 6 fractional sections. The Great Miami River flows
through the township as did the Miami-Erie Canal.
The township's earliest settler was Samuel Freeman, who in 1801 with his
family, settled about a mile south of what is now Tipp City. John Yount
arrived with his family in 1802. By 1805, many families from the Newberry
District of South Carolina began arriving to buy land and establish residences.
Tipp City (Tippecanoe), established in 1839, is the main city in the township.
Villages include Frederick (Fidelity P.O.) and Ginghamsburg, both near
the southern border with Montgomery County.