Monroe Township is in the southern tier of townships running east and west in Miami County, and is bounded on the north by Concord Township, while the great Miami River separates it from Staunton and Bethel on the east; Montgomery County bounds it on the south, and Union, the southwestern township of Miami Co, on the west. It contains thirty-six full and six fractional sections, making it, in all, about nineteen thousand three hundred and twenty acres. In the beginning of the present century, when the few hardy men reached here from South Carolina, they found the forest unbroken for miles around; not a spot of prairie land was in the township, while the only inhabitants of the sylvan solitudes were the untutored Indians, who gained a livelihood by hunting the wild animals that abounded here at that date. The Shawanee tribe had quite a village in the southeastern part of the township, below the present line of Tippecanoe, and here they lived the life of happy contentment, roaming the woods at liberty, and gaining a scanty but satisfactory subsistence from the spontaneous products of the country round about them. Little did they think, living in their grand simplicity and utter ignorance of the rise and fall of nations, which had taken place since the creation of the world, that, ere, three-quarters of a century should have passed away, only the memory of their people would be lingering in the minds of descendants of those whose might alone entitled them to the soil, which, according to the law of original possession, was their own. The appearance of the white man upon the scene caused the spirit of their dream to change, The advent of this iconoclastic creature in their midst put to flight all preconceived notions that they might have entertained of remaining in undisturbed possession of the soil were for many centuries they had pitched their tents unmolested. To us, at present, viewing the productive farms and elegant homes that dot the country in every direction, it seems difficult to realize that here, in a period not very remote, "there lived and loved another race of beings; "but these have long since passed away; the leaves of the forest no more feel the impress of their stealthy footsteps; the smoke from their camp-fires no more rises gracefully from the front of their wigwams, and,
"When asked the question,
'Where are they---these red men?"
From the thick wall of years,
The echoes bring answer, and say,
'They're gone---gone forever.'"
The metamorphosis in Monroe Township, since the year 1801, has been complete, and, although not noticeable to the young, to the few pioneers who still live, the change seems wonderful indeed. The productiveness of her soil is not excelled by that of any other township, while her manufacturies compare favorably with those of any of her neighbors, and speak plainer than words of the enterprise and business ability of her citizens. By a free use of the tile manufactured in the township, the ground has been brought to the highest state of cultivation, while the quarries produce an excellent quality of limestone for the construction of buildings.
The first white settler in the township was Samuel Freeman, who brought his family to Monroe in 1801; he located about one mile south of where Tippecanoe now is, and built his cabin soon as possible, occupying a bark hut left by the Indians until he had finished a house of his own. John Freemanm a son of the former, built the first corn-cracker in the township, near the bayou, in 1806.
John Yount came from North Carolina to Monroe Township in 1802, bringing his family with him, and making his home for some time right among the Indians; he entered his farm at $2 per acre, which they "stepped off," thus dispensing with the services of a surveyor.
Michael Fair was probably the next settler in the township; he brought his family from Frederick County, Md., and settled one and a half mile southwest of the present site of Tippecanoe, in 1804. Mr. Michael Fair was stepfather to John Clark, who afterward laid out the town. George Fair, a son of M.F.'s, born in Maryland in 1794, has resided in the township seventy-six years and is the oldest resident in Monroe.
John Clark, a native of Chester County, Md., immigrated to Ohio with
his parents in 1804. They located first in Greene County, but, not being
satisfied to remain there, removed to Monroe Township in October of the
same year, and settled permanently, one mile and a half west of Tippecanoe,
where they resided till their death. In early life, John was wholly dependent
on his own exertions for a livelihood, and, as the sequel shows, proved
himself competent for the emergency. In after years, he became one of the
largest land-holders in the township. Mr. C. was a man of great business
capacity and in the course of his business life, made four trips to New
Orleans with flat-boats loaded with produce; and, although such a journey
was considered very hazardous, under his management they became very successful
David Jenkins, was born in Newberry District, S.C., in 1758, from which place he emigrated, in 1805, reaching this township the same year. He was accompanied West by Elisha Jones. Mr. Jenkins' four sons, viz., Amos, Phineas, Eli and Jesse, came to the township, and settled near their father, between the years 1805 and 1808. The log cabin used by Mr. J. as a residence when he first came to the town-ship still stands on Section 8, and is, without doubt, the oldest dwelling in Monroe Township.
David Jenkins, Esq., commonly distinguished as "Squire" Jenkins, reached Monroe in 1806, and located on part of Section 20. He was a prominent man in the community, and figured conspicuously in all affairs of a public character in his township. Elected Justice of the Peace in 1818, he was continued in office till his death, in 1858.
Thomas Pearson was, at the time of his arrival in the township, the oldest man in the settlement. He immigrated here from Newberry District S.C., in 1806, at the age of seventy-six years. His sons, Enoch, Jonas, and Thomas, Jr., all of whom had families, came here at the same time, and settled on Section 20. Samuel Pearson came from South Carolina the same year, and the different members of the Pearson family then entered land on portions of Sections 20, 21, 22 and 29. Thomas Sr., was a Quaker minister of considerable notoriety, while his son Enoch was the first blacksmith in the township. Samuel P., was accompanied by his nine sons.
John Jay, came to Monroe Township in 1803, accompanied by his family of seven sons and three daughters, only one of the sons being married at that time, but the rest took to themselves wives, and the family in a short time became so numerous that they formed quite a settlement by themselves, and were known as the "Jay set." Upon their arrival here they centered portions of Section 25, 36 and 31, which they soon cleared and brought under a high degree of cultivation. Walter D. Jay was the first man who refused to countenance the use of ardent spirits in the harvest field. He was a man noted for his integrity, a staunch Abolitionist, and as far as was in his power to be, a patron of education.
Paul Macy immigrated here with his two married sons, Thomas and Paul Jr., in 1808; the family were natives of Tennessee. Upon arriving in Cincinnati, they entered portions of Sections 31 and 32, where they subsequently built their log cabins, and, by the constancy of their labors as well as the strict integrity of their dealings with their fellows, they made for themselves not only pleasant homes, but sustained the relation of the prominent citizens to the community.
George North, accompanied by his three sons, came to Monroe Township from Georgia, after he had passed the age of fourscore years. He had been a soldier in the Revolutionary was, and was a great admirer of President Monroe, so, when the right of naming the township was ceded to him, he called it Monroe, in honor of that great and good man. Mr. N. was an influential man in the community, and was more than one hundred years old at the time of his death.
George Kerr, from Virginia, located in Monroe Township in 1804. Beside those already referred to, the names of Layton, Fergus, Westlake, Puterbaugh, Shafer, Fernas, etc., are familiarly spoken as having been among the earliest as well as the most prominent persons in the township; and the many advantages now enjoyed by the citizens of the township are due, in great measure, to the unwearying exertions of these men, who began the work that has been rapidly forwarded by each successive generation.
Tippecanoe City, the principal village in the township of Monroe, dates its origin from the fall of 1839, when its foundations were laid amid the excitement and tumult attendant upon the war then being waged through the West, by Gen. Harrison, against the Indians. It is situated in a beautiful tract of country, in the eastern part of the township, very near the line, its northeastern boundary being formed by the Great Miami River which separates Monroe from Bethel and Staunton Townships, which bound it on the east. At a very early day in the history of the town, the Dayton & Erie Canal was completed through the place, thus offering shipping facilities that were great inducements to people desiring homes, to locate themselves in this vicinity. The canal passes north and south, just east of the village but its usefulness, as well as its importance, has, in some measure, been superseded by the construction, in later years of the Dayton & Michigan Railroad, which passes through the center part of the town, from northwest to southeast. It will be seen, therefore, that the resources of the place, as regards developing the commercial interests of the town and township, are twofold, viz., by rail and water, and judging from the large amount of freight imported and the great quantity of articles exported by the numerous manufacturers of the place, we are led to infer that the advantages offered by either of these modes of transit, instead of being neglected and abused, are eagerly seized upon and appreciated by the enterprising citizens who take pride in developing the sources of wealth found in the productive farms and extensive manufactories of the township.
The land upon which the village stands was first occupied by Robert Evans, who, could he look upon the place as it now is, would probably not recognize, in the streets so beautifully laid out and pleasantly shaded by tall maples, the spot of ground from which he was able, only by extreme manual labor, to produce for himself and family what was, at best, a scanty livelihood, in the old pioneer days. The land in this vicinity, at that time, was an unbroken forest, but, had the trees been invested with reasoning powers, they might have known, by the echoes made by a resounding axe in other places, that the footpath of American civilization was rapidly advancing. Add to the drawback of the land being heavily timbered the fact of its being rather low, and for many months, very wet and unfit to be worked each year, and it was not surprising that the proprietor should grow anxious to dispose of the place and seek another, where less difficulties would have to be overcome. Accordingly, Mr. Evans exchanged farms, in the fall of 1839, with his brother-in-law, John Clark, who had emigrated with his parents from Sharpsburg, Chester Co., Md., when he was about nine years of age, which would make the date of his location in Miami County, this township, about the year 1804. Having arrived at the age of manhood, Mr. Clark married a lady whose maiden name was Jenkins, who had immigrated to this township with her parents from South Carolina in the early days of the nineteenth century.
In the fall of 1839, when seeking a permanent home for himself and his growing family, Mr. Clark was so fortunate as to become the possessor of the land on which Tippecanoe City is now located; we say fortunate, for surely greener fields, trees more umbrageous or waters more refreshing or sparkling never ornamented or made luxurious the dwelling of man, than are to be found here. When Mr. Clark moved here, the place did not present so delightful a prospect to the vision of man as at present. Then but a small plot of ground, in what is now the eastern part of the town, was cleared, which probably, had been burned off many years before by the Indians, who had a village just south of that place, in the bend of the river. It is likely that they cultivated on this cleared spot a little corn and the few vegetables they used for food. But the land had lain idle for many years and had grown up full of young oaks and briers, so that the spot came to be spoken of by all who knew it as the "briery fraction"
Our readers will remember that hundreds of years before this, an edict had gone forth from Him who commands worlds to move, which had pronounced man an unworthy creature, and condemned him to a life of labor; declaring that he should obtain his bread from the soil, which should henceforth bring forth both thorns and thistles, by the sweat of his brow. Remembering this, they will not wonder that Mr. Clark found his new home by no means a Garden of Eden; notwithstanding this, it is boasted by a resident of the place, a son of Mr. Clark, who has traveled ocean to ocean, from the Great Lakes to the gulf, and who has also visited the delightful regions of the tropics, that, should search be made for a more beautiful or pleasant place to live than "Old Tip," failure would be the only result of such labors. This enviable state of affairs must not be accounted for on the principles of spontaneous growth, but rather by the unwearying industry and enterprising spirit of her citizens. When Mr. Clark moved here, the farm contained something more than 100 acres. This however, was a mere nucleus, to which the enterprising proprietor, by his tact and talent, commingled with his unflagging industry, soon added several hundred acres. Immediately upon taking possession of his new home, he satisfied the wants of the sparsely settled neigh- borhood, which up to that time had no home market nor any other of the many advantages so necessary to the prosperity of any community, by founding the new town. Four blocks on what is now First Street, first laid out, and divided into seventeen lots, which were offered for sale, and for which he received $100 each. The original lots east of First Street, were fifty-two feet in front and 187 feet deep, while west of First Street they were only 152 feet deep. No public sale of lots was made, but private enterprise willingly took hold of the work, and in a short time a number of small dwellings were in a fair way for completion. The ground had been corn-field that summer, and an orchard had also been planted upon the spot a few years before, but the axe of the woodsman, and the corncutter of the farmer, soon caused these obstructions to vanish, and the vacancy was occupied by a store, blacksmith shop and tavern, three of the most important factors in the establishment of a country village.
A difference of opinion existed among the inhabitants as to what appellation should be given to the place; Mr. Jay, the man who purchased the first lot, desiring to call it Jaytown, and thus perpetuate his own name, while Mr. Clark called it Sharpsburg, after his own native town in Maryland. It was at this time that Gen. Harrison fought the memorable battle in Indiana, and Mr. Clark, being a stanch friend and admirer of that General, as well as a firm supporter of his party, decided to name his town for the place where that engagement took place---hence the name of Tippecanoe City.
The first lot was bought by Thomas Jay, who built the first store- room in the place, in the fall of 1839. He kept a general stock of dry-goods, groceries and notions, which he exchanged for the various farm products brought to the store. It had been stipulated by Mr. Clark, when selling the lots, that no log-buildings should be erected; consequently, instead of the usual log-cabin, we have here neat frame structures, many of which are standing and are quite respectable in appearance at the present day. The first tavern was built by Henry Krise in 1840. The amount of travel in those days, especially in this part of the country, had not assumed gigantic proportions. The landing of a traveler from the canalboat was quite an event in the daily life of the village, and was an exception rather than a rule. In order to make up somewhat for the want of travel, and to more fully occupy his time, Mr. Krise purchased a stock of dry goods, notions, etc., and united the mercantile trade to the business of keeping public-house. He continued in this building many years, when he disposed of the property, which has since ceased to be a place where man and beast may find refreshment, and is now used as a saloon, proving a curse rather than a blessing to the place. He kept a tailor's shop, and in conjunction with this sold goods of various descriptions. John McPherson was one of the first persons who put up buildings in the new village. The first blacksmith shop was built by Charles Shultzbaugh, in 1842; it was situated on the north side of Main Street, but was removed years ago, and in its place stands a two-story frame structure, the lower floor being used as a hardware store, while the upper is occupied by Caldwell & Company, the only newspaper establishment in the township. In the summer of 1840, Uriah Johns built, what was then the most substantial grist-mill in the township, which has been in successful operation since. John Clark erected his brick residence on the east end of Main Street in 1851; it was at that time considered, if not the best, at least as good as any residence in Miami County. Since that time, many tasteful and even elegant places of abode have sprung up, as well as some fine business blocks. Among the latter, the Chafee Block is worthy of mention. It is located on the corner of Main and Second Streets, and was finished in 1867, having been started in the fall of 1866. The third story is used as an opera house, and is capable of comfortably seating from 600 to 800 persons. The whole building is 75x133 feet, and was put up at a cost of about $12,000.
John Morrison built a brick block on Main Street in 1850. The third story of this building contains rooms of various secret societies of the place. The Tippecanoe City Engine-house, situated on the corner of Main and Third Streets, was built at a cost of between $5,000 and $6,000, in 1874. The Fire Department occupies the first floor, while in the upper are to be found the Mayor's office, Town Hall and Calaboose.
At different times in the history of the place, various newspapers have sprung into existence, and, after struggling spasmodically to gain for themselves a name and position among the countless period- icals of the day, were compelled at last to give up the attempt as fruitless. They all seem to have died an easy and natural death, and no doubt, "after life's fitful fever, they sleep well." The firsts of these papers went by the euphonious title of the Tippecanoe City Reflector. It was established and published by Mr. Hudson, in 1853, but never gained a very strong hold on the affections of the people. Its circulation was limited to five or six hundred subscribers, being published weekly. Its publication was discontinued by Hudson at the expiration of two years from the date of its establishment. No other attempt was made to establish a home paper after the unsuccessful attempt of the "Reflector", for an interval of eleven years. At the expiration of this time, however, the thought presented itself forcibly to the mind of Charles Crowell, that the results of a second trial in this direction might not be so fruitless as the first. Accordingly, in 1866, what was henceforth known as the "City Item", came into existence, and at intervals of a week, would make its appearance at the various homes, where it received a cordial welcome. The time, however, had not yet come when a permanent newspaper could be supported in Monroe Township, so it soon came to pass that the "City Item" was numbered only with the things what were but are not. After this, there was a semi-monthly publication established, more particularly for the benefit of persons wishing to advertise, This sheet, in a few short months, followed in the rear of all the rest, and there were those living then who predicted that to run a newspaper in "Tip" and make both ends meet, would be as impossible as to bring together two parallel lines, which, mathematicians tell us, will not meet, how far soever they may be produced. Still Mr. Horton, who had held the enviable position of printer's devil in the office of the "Reflector", and who had watched the rise and fall of the various publications, was by no means dismayed by previous failures, and June 10, 1869, he issued the first number of the Tippecanoe City Hearld, which he edited weekly till the 1st of April, 1880, when he disposed of the establishment to Caldwell & Co., the enterprising firm who conduct the paper at the present time. Under their supervision, the sheet has become not only readable, but highly entertaining and instructive. The subscription list has been greatly increased, and the prospect bids fair for the present paper to remain one of the most permanent, as well as one of the most useful establishments in Monroe Township.
Tippecanoe Lodge, No 174, A.F.& A.M.--was organized Oct 27, 1851 by the Grand Lodge of Ohio, issuing the charter, which contained the following names: Thomas Jay, Joseph L. Wilcox, A. B. Hartman, Thomas DeWeese, Charles Shultzbaugh, Thomas J. Line, William Loury, Jonathan Favorite, F.S. Fagan. The first Master of the new lodge was Thomas Jay; first Senior officers were as follows, viz.; Eli Pearson Jr., W.M.; M.E. Eidemiller, Senior Warden; Thomas Hartley, Junior Warden; Charles Trupp, Treasurer; Peter Fair, Secretary; Furnas Kerr, Senior Deacon; O.W. Bair, Junior Deacon; G.O. Chidister and S.D. Hartman, M.D., Stewards; Joseph Brump, Tiler. The lodge, at the present time, has seventy working members in good standing. They have the next to largest membership of any secret order in the township, being only excelled by the Odd Fellows. The Masonic Hall is in the third story of the Booher building, a brick structure on the north side of Main Street. The hall is comfortably furnished, and is owned by the society, which, by the way, is the oldest secret organization of any kind in the township.
Tippecanoe Lodge, No. 247, I.O.O.F.-- Was organized May 12, 1854, being, as regards age, the second secret order established in the township. A charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Ohio to the following persons, viz., D.H. Brinkerhoff, A.H. Wesler, H.H. Darst, George Smith and John Cotral. These persons constituted the first officers of the organization, which has gradually increased in numbers till the present time, when its roll-book shows the names in good standing are about one hundred, being the largest member- ship of any secret order in Tippecanoe. They have been ever zealous in good works, as can be testified by the families of many of their number that would have suffered for the necessaries of life, had it not been for this benevolent institution. The lodge holds its deliberations in the upper story of Morrison's Block, in their hall, which is handsomely furnished. The present officers are as follows, viz.: C.C. Chafee, N.G.; John C. Collins, V.G.; Peter Fair, R. Sec- retary; Cyrus Shafer, Per. Secretary; E.A. Jackson, Treasurer; John S. Shafer, W.; J.T. Bartmass, C.; Levi Owen, I.G.; Joseph S. Bishop O.G.; A.M. Hecker, R.S.N.G.; H.E. Hawver, L.S.N.G.; Charles Trupp, R.S.V.G.; Lawrence Gates, L.S.V.G.; C.D. Hikes, R.S.S.: Dr. S.D. Hartman, L.S.S. Trustees are Charles Trupp, Joseph S. Bishop and Joseph Brump.
Monroe Encampment, I.O.O.F.--Received its charter from the Grand Encampment of Ohio the 15th of June 1871, with the following charter members, viz,: Joshua H. Horton, William Green, Valentine Pearson, Eli Pearson, Jr., D.L. James, J.H. Martin, Frank Byrkett and Isaac Vanest. The members at the present time are thirty-three in number, showing an increase of twenty-five since the organization of the encampment. The first officers were Joshua H. Horton, C.P.; Eli Pearson, S.W.; William Green, H.P.; John H. Martin, J.W.; David L. Jones, Scribe. The present officers are John S. Shafer, C.P.; Joshua H. Horton, H.P.; Levi Owen, S.W.; Cyrus Shafer, Scribe; Charles Trupp, Treasurer; and C.C. Chafee, J.W.
Deutscher Orden der Harugar--Miami Lodge, No 67, D.O.H.--Was organized March 28, 1859. They hold their meetings in Morrison's Block, in a nearly furnished hall, which is the property of the society. In order of time this is the third secret organization in the township. The charter members and first officers were as follows: Peter Walherr, O.B.: Philip Guckes, U.B.; Robert Geiger, Sec.; N. Price, Treas.; Charles Kopp R.H.O.B.; Louis Marguart, L.H.O.B.; William Hilderbrand, R.H.U.B.; Fred Huber, L.H.U.B.; Mathais Guckes, Guide, John Spiess, I.U. Officers installed for 1880 are E. Kuetitz, O.B.; P. Knorm, U.B.; John Born, Treas.; J.M. Haaga, Sec. Henry Born, R.H.O.B.; Herr Knochel, L.H.O.B.; W. Hergernroether, R.H.U.B. : Frederick Kettlebrooke, L.H.U.B.; Charles Trupp, Guide; W. Thorp, I.U.
The officers and charter members of Common Council, Royal Arcanum Lodge, No 270, at its organization, were as follows: H.E. Hawver, Past Regent; J.A. Kerr, Regent; A.W. Miles, V.R.; J.T. Bartmoss, Orator; Charles H. Gary, Sec; Benjamin F. Rhodehamel, Treas.; W.C. Robison, Col.; Rev. D.H. Bauslin, Chaplin; F.A. Rhodehamel, Guide; H.A. Galloway, Warden; Job Clark, Sentry; S.D. Hartman, M.D., Medical Examiner; D. McConnaughey, S. Galloway and H.A. Hawver, Trustees; S.R. Rhodehamel, W.V. Ballord and C. Krise These constitute the charter members. The lodge at present numbers thirty-one members, with the following officers for 1880: A. W. Miles, Past Regent; James T. Bartmass, Regent; D>H> Bauslin, Vice Regent; H.A. Galloway, Orator; Charles H. Gary, Secretary; B.F. Rhodehamel, Treasurer; William C. Robison, Collector; S.D. Hartman M.D., Chaplin; J.A. Kerr, Guide. George L. Favorite, Warden; F.C. Merkle, Sentry; S.D. Hartman, Medical Examiner; D. McConnaughey, S. Galloway and H. A. Hawver, Trustees.
FAITHFUL TEMPERANCE LEAGUE, No. 1.-- The foundation of a secret organization of this name was laid in place the 29th of April, 1880 when a charter was granted to the persons applying for the same, by the Secretary of the State of Ohio. The league meets Friday evening of each week, in Chaffee's Block. The officers and charter members are John C. Collins, President; Cyrus Shafer, Vice President; John V. Sullivan, Secretary; Henry Anglebarger, Treasurer; John S. Shafer Sergeant-at-Arms; Lawrence Gates and Addison Collins, Conductors; William Furrow, Warden; S. Vandever, Chaplin; William Prince, A.G. Hutchins, G.B. Collins, A.J. Bradley, Ed Grant, G.B. VOre, W. Bear, C.L. Hecker, JU.A. Cushwa, Robert Baskerville, John J. Denbuer, C.C. Chaffee, B.F. Kauffman, Fred Miller, Frank Clarkm Thomas Hartley, Harry Horton, Samuel DeWeese.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH--In all probability dates its origins nearer the beginning of the nineteenth century than any other church in the township now in existence. The first church was a log structure, built in what was then Hyattsville, a small town which has been incorporated with Tippecanoe. As near as can be ascertained, the church was built in 1820, and was a very rude place of worship. Its huge fireplace made it comfortable in winter, and during the summer the services were quite frequently held in the woods. The old log finally yielded to the more modern brick structure, which was erected upon the same spot about 1840. Among the first preachers, Rev. McPherson is named as being a man of ability. Rutledge is also spoken of as a man of considerable power in protracted meetings. Additions were made to the old brick and services were held here till 1860, when the present brick was built. Rev. M. Kauffman, the present minister, has a congregation of 200 members, with a Sunday School which has an average attendance of 100 scholars. The parsonage was built in 1879 and 1880, at a cost of $1,300, which has all been paid, and leaves the congregation with no outstanding accounts.
LUTHERAN CHURCH --This congregation existed in Monroe Township previous to 1826. At this date, a parcel of ground south of Tippecanoe was deeded to the church for a burial ground and purpose of building a suitable place for worship. Services were held here till about 1839, when, on account of some differences, the congregation divided, and John Ritter, donated a house and lot and $2,000 for a parsonage, besides giving largely toward the building of the church. The building was immediately erected, the first brick ever used in Tippecanoe City having assisted in its construction. Rev. Link, the first Pastor, served faithfully for ten years, preaching at Hyattsville, Casstown, Vandalia and Stillwater, as well as here. The dedicatory sermon had been preached by Dr. Ezra Keller, First President of Wittenburg College, at Springfield. Link resigning, the vacancy was supplied by Rev. A.H. Anghe, who remained a single year, and was successes by J.G. Harris, who served four years. Jacob Schauer came in 1854, and served the congregation till 1861, when Link returned and took charge of the congregation till his death, in 1862. Solomon Weills served as Pastor till 1866, at which time the charge was divided. J.J. Welsh took the charge of Tippecanoe and Casstown till 1873, and was successes by N.W. Lilly, who left in 1878, and was followed by the present Pastor, D.H. Bauslin. The membership now numbers 100 persons, with a Sunday school which has an average attendance of between fifty and sixty pupils.
THE GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH--Was organized in Tippecanoe City in 1856 with a membership of about twenty persons. Rev. Anker was the first minister who presided regularly over the congregation; he was succeeded by Rev. John Hinter, who was a shepherd to the little flock for seventeen years, resigning in 1875. Rev. A. Cernake was called to the charge, which he has satisfactorily conducted to the present time. Services were held in the English Lutheran Church till 1870, when the members were about thirty in number. About three years ago, the congregation re-organized, purchased a lot on Third Street, between German and Walnut, and proceeded to build a home for themselves. A neat frame structure, 30 X 48 feet, was erected, at a cost of about $1,700, and since that time services have been held here semi-monthly. There are now forty-five members in good standing.
BAPTIST CHURCH--A meeting was held in the old schoolhouse November 2, 1851, when the few persons of this creed decided to unite their strength and form a Regular Baptist congregation in this place. November 14 of the same year, they were made a branch of the church at West Carlisle. The first conference met at the house of Willis Davis, December 21, 1851, at which time the congregation consisted of twelve members. Rev. L.C. Carr presided over the church at this time. The first converts were James Hannun, Jonathan A. Miles, Sarah Miles, Mary E. Ketchum and Sarah A. Wesler, who were baptized February 29, 1852, when many persons in the township witnessed that ceremony for the first time. They separated from the West Carlisle Church August 5, 1852, when they held their services in the Lutheran Church, and in 1856 they worshiped in Morrison Hall. About this time, they purchased the old frame schoolhouse on First Street, for $200, put an addition to it, and used the same till two years ago, when it was sold for $400, and is now used as a dwelling. The new brick, 38 X 58 feet, was commenced in 1878, and will soon be completed, when regular services will again be held. The congregation numbers fifty-one persons.
ST J.B. CATHOLIC CHURCH--Existed first as a mission church. The neat brick building 26 X 40 feet, was completed October, 1858 at a cost of $@,500, and dedicated by Bishop Rosencrans, Of Columbus, Ohio. Rev. Father Hensteger was their first priest, who remained about three years. Rev Father Menke has presided over the congregation about two years. The connection consists of about twenty families, who have services semi-monthly.
THE GERMAN REFORMED CHURCH--Was built in Monroe Township about 1820. Some years afterward. the congregation received a donation of about $900 from Mr. Palmer, which was used in enlarging the house. In 1856 the old building was torn down and several denominations united and erected a structure to be used by all denominations, at a cost of $1,350. It is now occupied only by the Reformed Church. A burying- ground was also laid out near the old church previous to 1820, and the first person interred there was Stephen Dye, a man who figured conspicuously in the affairs of Miami County till his death.
The first religious denomination in the township was the Friends, which comprised the families of most of the pioneer settlers in Monroe. The first minister was William Neal. They built a log church in Frederick, in 1816, which still stands in the tan-yard in that place. It looks a lone- ly thing amid the modern structures round about it and seems to silently speak of ages long gone by, when those old fathers who have many been many years in the land of spirits, met within its humble walls and sent up their weak petitions to the Throne of Him Who doeth all things well. The brick church now standing was erected in 1850, and here services were held until a few years since, when they ceased to exist here as a separate congregation.
Tippecanoe City Schools
While the place has much reason to boast of the rapidity with which so many improvements have taken place in her corporate limits, as well as the convenience of her business facilities, there is nothing for which she deserves greater praise, or for which she should be more highly lauded than the thoroughness of her public schools, and their kindly influence upon the youth of her town and neighborhood. At the present time, not only every facility for obtaining a substantial education, such as is necessary to transact the every day business of life, is provided, but, desirous of so doing, the pupil may go away beyond the fundamentals and become well versed in the classic languages as well as conversant with the unchangeable rules of higher mathematics. The first schoolhouse in the vicinity of the village was in what was then known as Hyattsville. It was one of the log cabins of the primitive days, furnished with a huge fire- place, both in the front and back of the house. These heaped high with dry logs of a cold winter's day, created in the youthful knowledge-seeker, after a tramp of several miles through the snow, sensations by no means disagreeable. Some time after this, another house was erected on what is known as the "Island," a small spot of ground separated from the mainland by a bayou which joined the river, that made quite a bend in this place. The first teacher here was a young man by the name of Gilbert, who afterward, became a physician. It was not until March, 1853, that the first Board of Education was elected in this place, which consisted of three members, viz,: John McPherson, LON. Booher and D.H. Brinkerhoff. In the following April, a tax of $3,000 was levied on the property in the corporation line for school purposes. The house and lot on the island were sold for $111. The board then purchased some lots on First Street, and the first school building in Tippecanoe was rapidly erected. N.L. Perry was the first teacher in the town, who taught for three months, and received for his services $100.
The property on First Street was sold at auction to A.B. Hartman, for $415, in March 1854, and steps were immediately taken toward building a more commodious house, to meet the demands of the rapidly increasing population. Mr. Lines donated ground for this purpose on Dow Street, between Third and Fourth Streets, and a frame build- ing 40 X 44 feet, two stories high, containing four recitation rooms was built at a cost of $5,000. I.W. Sawyer, assisted by Misses Wood and Brinkerhoff, was the first Principal. This was used till 1868, when ground was purchased of Jacob Roher for $2,000, and the elegant brick structure now in use was built. The main part of the building is 60 X 80 feet, three stories high, with a tower of 108 feet. It contains ten commodious and well-ventilated recitation rooms, with a hall in the third story, used for commencement exercises, lecturing purposes. etc., 29 X 58 feet. Prof. James F. Bartmass, principal of the school, has occupied the position since 1875, during which time he has greatly advanced the standard of scholarship. He is this year, 1880, assisted by the following efficient corps of teachers, viz., Misses Humphrey, Billingsly, Cochran and Brump. A regular course of study laid out in 1878, when the first graduating class of four members received their diplomas. The course at present is seven years in length, beginning in the primary department. The class of 1879 consisted of seven members, while the present class has nine, showing a gradual increase since the course was established. There are three hundred and fifty pupils in the school.
Improvements in both the sciences and arts advance so slowly and gradually as to be almost imperceptible to the casual observer. Yet, when we go into any neighborhood in our country and begin to trace the ramifications of the various industrial pursuits back to their origins, we are forced to acknowledge that the works of man not only change rapidly, but mighty strides are taken in facilitating the modes of labor by which he contributes to the welfare of the age in which he lives, as well as to his own happiness. In comparing the rude machines and tools of our forefathers with the modern and elegant appliances now in use by their progeny, we can hardly realize that only seventy-five years of our history have been written since these great improvement began. The first mill in Monroe Twp. was, perhaps, as rude a structure as can be imagined, It was built, or, rather burned, for the principle part of the structure was made by burning, in the year 1802, by John Yount. As the preliminary steps were being taken, the most ingenious person would not have suspected his object. The largest beech-tree near his house was selected to form the foundation of the mill. It was cut so as to leave the stump as near level as possible, a fire was then put in the center of the stump, and by hard labor, a hole, was shaped somewhat like the inside of a large bowl, was obtained. The charred surface of the concavity was then scoured and rubbed with sandstone til the charcoal was all removed, and then the most difficult part of the labor was completed. A contrivance was erected over the stump, such as our forefathers used in drawing water from a well, which was called a sweep. Instead of attaching a bucket to one end of the sweep, they fastened a large, round stone, which was placed in such a position that, when lowered, it fell into the burned depression in the stump. Owing to the fact this simple contrivance could be worked without either steam or water, it possessed one advantage over our more modern mills. The motor power necessary to keep such a machine moving demanded such wonderful expenditure of muscular activity that it was not to be wondered at that the head of the family felt by no means elated when informed by the good housewife that the flour barrel was empty and it was necessary for him to go to the mill. The second mill in the township was built by John Freeman, in 1809, near were Tippecanoe City now stands. It was quite an improvement over Yount's concave stump, but still was a rather rude affair, consisting only of a hopper for grinding corn, placed in a shed made of logs. The settlers, for many miles around. came here to mill, co that Mr. Freeman was always busy, and the rattle of the old hopper was heard from dawn till nightfall. Its clanking has long since ceased, and the memory of the mill only remains in the minds of the few remaining pioneer settlers. Various other small mills were operated in different parts of the township, but none of any importance till Mr. John built his grist-mill in 1840, which has done a prosperous business ever since. An oil-mill was built near Tippecanoe, by Jonathan Favorite and Wesley Roberts, in 1839. The oil-mill was at first only one story high, but has since been increased to three, and has, for many years been doing quite an extensive business. The malt-house was built in 1854, by Walter Norey, a Scotsman, who subsequently failed in business, and the mill is now operated by a common joint-stock company. George and Edward Smith built their distillery in 1852, and have done a very lucrative business up to the present time. The first malt-house in the township was built by Col. Hutchins about 1852, which was operated till 1877, when it was sold to Mr. Rhodehamel, who carried on the business afterward.
Ford & Co.'s wheel factory was established in 1870. The establish- ment is now owned by a joint-stock company, of which Jacob Roher is one of the principal stockholders. They employ constantly about one hundred hands, and, for the size of the place, do a more extensive business that is done by any similar establishment in the State. They have a reputation for sending out good, substantial work, not only in our own land, but also in other countries, as they frequently fill orders for parties beyond the seas.
The Grape Sugar Factory is now being erected by the common-stock company, consisting of about twelve stockholders. This is the only establishment of the kind in the county, and the company is making preparations for carrying on an extensive business. The buildings are very large, the central one being 40 x 48 feet, and four stories high; another, running north and south from this, is 40 x 125 feet, three stories high; while the north wing, running east and west, is 100 feet deep. The whole thing when completed will cost about $50,000. The company expects to begin operations about the 1st of August.
Trupp, Weakley & Co., builders and contractors, established their firm in 1872, when they put up their buildings, east of the railroad in Tippecanoe City, are a cost of about $6,500, to which they soon added machinery to the value of $10,000. They have been carrying on a very extensive business since they began operating, constantly employing about forty hands making, sash, blinds, doors, etc., etc., doing, perhaps, as large a business in their line as any firm in the county.
Tippecanoe City was incorporated Monday, May 5, 1851, and the following officers were elected for that year; viz., Levi N. Booher, Mayor; E.F. Shields, Recorder; Thomas jay, Michael Shellabarger and Henry Krise, Councilmen; Eli Snell, Marshal; and I.L. Wilcox, Treas- urer. They took the oath of office from A.B. Hartman, J.P.
The officers for 1880 are: A. H. Wesler, Mayor; John K. Herr, Treas- urer; Samuel Galloway, Clerk; David Carles, Marshal; John Clark, John L. Norris and G. W. Weakley, Councilmen; Joseph Brump, Street Commissioner.
The first mail matter coming to Monroe Township stopped at the post office which was then located in Hyattsville. Henry J. Hyatt, was the first Postmaster. He lived in a log cabin with one room, which was used as a dry-goods store, tailor's shop, post office and dwelling house; and, as the room was by no means large, it will readily be seen that every part of the house was occupied. The mail was brought from West Charleston once a week, by Kiel Hoagland, a youth of ten summers, who rode a bob-tailed sorrel horse, with a blazed face, by no means as fleet as the one Mezeppa rode.
Many years afterward, when the mail-boy reached manhood, he became one of the proprietors of Royal Baking Powder, manufactured in New York, and is now a millionaire. Perhaps, if he had been told, when trying to make the old sorrel jump the ditch in front of the post office, that the day was coming when he could sit in a cushioned carriage of his own. with his driver in the box, he would not have believed the prediction. Dr. Gilbert became Postmaster in 1851, and was instrumental in having three mails a week, instead of one. The post office paid, at that time, about $15 per year. A. W. Miles the present Postmaster in Tippecanoe City, receives about $600 per year.
TIPPECANOE CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT
A hook and ladder company was organized in 1872, with Charles Trupp. Chief Director, and Daniel B. Davis, Thomas J. Sheets, George L. Favorite and Daniel Argabright, Assistant Directors. The department was reorganized in 1874, when a new engine was purchased at a cost of $7,000.
Of these there are several in the township, the oldest having been set aside for burial purposes in 1808. The principal one in use at the present, lies southwest of Tippecanoe. It was purchased a few years since by a company of stock-holders, of which Jacob Roher is President. There are thirty-two acres of ground in the plat, a portion of it already laid off into neat lots, and here quite a number of the early settlers are buried. Thus ends the history of Monroe for the three-quarters of a century that have come and gone. ...433 A new era is dawning, the importance of which is not paralleled by any precedent. Another page in the book of her existence is being turned, upon the unsullied surface of which remain to be chronicled the deeds of the present generation. Let the works of her people in the present age reach what magnitude they may, they surely cannot excel in importance those of the forefathers, upon whose lives and works, the most apathetic individual cannot meditate, without acknowledging them to be "men of thought and men of action," who did well the work that was given them to do.
Fredericktown--(Fidelity P.O.)-- Situated partly in Union Township, received its name from Frederick Yount, one among the earliest settlers of the township.
Ginghamsburg--A village of but secondary importance, is situated in the southern part of the township, contains a few dwellings, and also one or two places where goods of various descriptions are bought and sold.
Return to the 1880 History Page
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage
All Rights Reserved.