from Chapter 5 of 1909 History of Miami County Ohio
Newton Township, the second of the three known as the "Stillwater townships," occupies the extreme western part of the county. Newberry and Washington bound it on the north, Union on the south, Concord on the east, and Darke County on the west. It is watered by the Stillwater and tributary streams, and the land is fair and fertile. There is no township the county that has better roads than Newton. These pikes running in every direction, reach every section of the township, giving every inhabitant an excellent outlet everywhere. The history of Newton Township is contemporaneous with the greater history of the county. The same class of people that poured into other parts of the Stillwater Valley gave Newton her share and established the division which bears her name. They came, many of them, from the South, from the Carolinas, from Georgia and adjacent states, and not a few had seen service under the banner of Washington. Hardy sons of the new republic were they, men inured to every danger, strong willed and capable of making a home north of the Ohio. The first of these immigrants to Newton Township was Michael Williams, who had heard of the land from General Harrison. He came about 1799, and with his four sons, proceeded to build the new home in the Miami wilderness. In 1804 Marmaduke Coate, in spying out the Stillwater Valley, entered Newton Township and became its second pioneer. This family began at once to make an opening in the forest which rang with the music of their axes and before long the sunshine kissed soil it had never kissed before. There was determination in everything the Coates did, and Newton Township owes much today to this enterprising family. Thomas Hill seems to have been the third settler to invade the township, which he did about 1805. Among other things, he is noted for having erected the first copper still ever seen in the township, and it is on record that he made the best of whiskey. After Hill came Thomas Coppock, the progenitor of one of the most noted families of the county. He too, came from South Carolina. Coppock might be called one of the first abolitionists, for he was opposed to slavery and was not loath to leave a section where the crack of the slave driver's whip rang continually in his ears. He was a blacksmith by trade and obtained coal for his forge by burning charcoal. He was one of the first men in the county to be elected county commissioner. One year after Coppock's arrival Samuel Teague, Benjamim and William Furnas took possession of Newton Township land and cleared the same. Jacob Embree followed the first newcomers, and William Long left Virginia to find a home in Newton. Long was another good citizen, and his household, it is said, furnished the third preacher in the county. In 1807 Alexander Mills arrived to swell the little colony in Newton; then followed the Iddings's, Ballingers, Mileses, Leavell, Perrys, Dicksons and others. Newton was increasing slowly but surely in population and it was of the best quality. There wasn't a drone in it. The Falkners, Renches, and Freshours added to the Newton colony, and the Teeters and Deeters established themselves near the Stillwater. Industries soon began to spring up, primitive, it is true, but it was a laudable beginning. Embree erected a saw-mill with a corn cracker attachment and the people rejoiced. Next Robert Dickson put up a saw mill on Panther Creek and George Freshour went into the same business. Newton Township was surely moving along. In the midst of these growing industries the War of 1812 broke out and for a time business was stifled. A dark cloud hung over the township, but when it was dissipated by the sunshine of peace, business flourished again. There were now numerous openings in the township where the forest had been and on every side was heard the hum of prosperity. Homes sprang up in every direction, farms were cultivated throughout the township and villages began to spring into existence. Newton Township bid fair to outstrip some of her neighbors. Pleasant Hill, or Newton, as it was first called for Sir Isaac Newton, the philosopher, was surveyed by James Hanks in 1843. I. K.Teeter laid it out. The town which now has a population of 700 souls is the only one in the township. When the post office, which was first kept some distance from the town, was moved into it, John Whitmore became the postmaster. In 1866 the village was duly incorporated, its first officers being: Treasurer-Fred Deeter; marshal- J.G. Ritter; trustees- William Patty, MD; John H. Williams, -D. Minnich, John Whitmore and Joseph Pearson. The present official roster of the town is as follows: Mayor- D.M. Coppock; clerk- C. Roy Coppock; treasurer- D. E. Rothermal; Marshal- Sidney Strong; council- H. H.. Coppock, president; J.C. Kriegbaum, Henry Martindale, Martin L. Gates, Daniel Hayworth, Jesse Berry; board of public service- Dr. A. J.. Bausman, G. P. Hoffman, Samuel Berger. In August 1908, council passed an ordinance authorizing the sale of $16,000 worth of bonds for waterworks, which sold at a premium. Council also granted a franchise to a Covington firm to furnish electricity for lighting purposes. Pleasant Hill has shown its loyalty and public spirit in numerous ways, among these being the erection of a handsome Monument in her public square to the memory of the heroic sons of Newton Township who went forth to do battle for the Union in 1861 and 1865. The township has one good bank situated in Pleasant Hill, where there are also one newspaper, several handsome churches, and up-to-date school building and several factories.
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage
All Rights Reserved.