P. A. YOUNT
P.A. YOUNT, one of the leading merchants of West Milton, Ohio, is a member of the firm of Yount and Newby, proprietors of a flourishing grocery business. He was born in Miami County, South of West Milton, in 1872, and is a son of S. K. and Mary P. (Peck) Yount. His grandfather, Elam Yount, was one of the pioneers of Miami County, coming from Pennsylvania in the early days. S. K. Yount in his early days followed farming, but for many years has followed carpentering and operated a threshing machine, making his home in West Milton. He married Mary P. Peck and they have two sons, P. A. Yount; and T. O. Yount, who follows farming and is located near Rockford.
P. A. Yount received his schooling at West Milton, and then began his business career as a clerk in the store of which he is now one of the proprietors. In 1896 he went to Indiana and there opened a grocery, which he ran for three years. Upon his return to West Milton he purchased the interest of H. A. Ireland in the business of the firm of Ireland & Smithman. Mr. Smithman later sold his interest to Mr. L. C. Newby, land the firm name became Yount & Newby and has continued as such to the present time. They originally had a stock of hardware, which they sold out to Mr. E. T. Wenger, and have since conducted a grocery exclusively. They are located opposite the post office, in the old Randall Building, and carry a large stock of goods, such as their extensive patronage warrants. Mr. Yount was united in marriage with Miss Stella Cress of Miami County, and they have one son, Howard, who is attending the public schools. Politically, Mr. Yount is a Republican and served five years as a member of the village council. He was elected treasurer of West Milton in 1908, and is now capably discharging the duties of that office. Fraternally, be is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Masons.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage