SAMUEL YERTY, who resides on his well improved farm of twenty-eight acres, situated in Newberry Township, on the Stillwater turnpike road, about four miles northwest of Covington, owns a second farm, also located in section 12, which lies about one-quarter mile north, and is bordered by the Range Line road. Mr. Yerty was born February 26, 1835, in Newberry Township, Miami County, Ohio, and is a son of Jacob and Polly (Ullery) Yerty.
Jacob Yerty was born in Pennsylvania, and there attended school and was trained as a farmer, not coming to Miami County until after his marriage. He subsequently became the owner of a quarter section of land in Newberry Township, and lived here until his death. He was thrice married, his first wife being Polly Ullery, who died when her son Samuel was nine years of age. She was a half sister of Col. Ullery, formerly county commissioner of Miami County. To this marriage were born four sons and two daughters, and there are three surviving sons: Jacob and Daniel, twins, who were born October 12, 1825, of whom Jacob is deceased and Daniel resides with his brother Samuel; and David and Samuel, who are twins. Jacob Yerty and his second wife, Esther, lived for many years in Newberry Township.
Samuel Yerty went to school in the neighborhood of his home, in his boyhood, later learned the carpenter trade, and has worked at that and at farming all his life.
After his marriage. in 1859, he and wife went to housekeeping on a farm of 100 acres in Shelby County, Ohio, which they then owned, but sold, and in 1865 he bought his eighty-acre farm in Newberry Township and put up substantial building there. He continued to live on that farm until 1890, when he came to his present place, where he has put all the buildings in fine shape, and has a valuable property and comfortable and attractive home.
On April 3, 1859, Mr. Yerty was married to Miss Savilla Routson, a daughter of George Routson and a sister of Reuben Routson. To this marriage were born three children, namely: Miranda, who married William Keiser, who resides on and operates the eighty-acre farm, has two children-Otto and Leo; Charles, who married Lydia Fink, resides south of Bradford and they have two children: Ruth and Mary; and Dolly, who is the wife of George W. Kester, a resident of Marion, Indiana.
Return to the Biography Index
Copyright © 1998 by Computerized Heritage